Although ruined by the later part of the 19th century, Wedderlie House has, in the meantime, been restored to create a truly remarkable family house which, over the last 4 years has been sympathetically modernised by the current owners. The house consists of a fortified tower, thought to date from the late 16th century, to which a larger house was added in 1680 (the date carved on a window lintel on the north side of the house). The fortalice, which forms the western end of the building, is L-shaped. It has a small wing projecting Northwards, and is 3 stories high. The late 17th century addition is also 3 stories high and is rough cast rather than exposed stone as found elsewhere on the building. The recent program of modernisation has been thoughtfully planned and cleverly executed, providing really comfortable and adaptable family accommodation. Of particular note is the kitchen/ breakfast room with its Aga, Inglenook fireplace, breakfast bar and high quality kitchen units. The quality of the decoration and finish of the beautifully proportioned reception rooms, all of which contribute to making an extremely elegant and comfortable home, is of the highest standard. (See floor plans for room layout and dimensions)
Wedderlie House has a long and rich history. Wedderlie was originally owned by the Polwarth family in the 13th century but passed to the Edgars in 1327 and remained with them for 400 years. There probably was an earlier castle on the site of the existing house, part of which has been incorporated into the tower house. In 1733 Wedderlie was acquired by the Stewart Lord Blantyre. Although ruined by the later part of the 19th century, it has since been extensively restored to its present condition. The historic house of Wedderlie was originally a ‘fortalice’ or ‘keep’ dating from c. 1258. It was converted to a mansion house in 1684 by the Edgar family.King Robert Bruce awarded The Wedderlie Estate to Sir Richard Edgar in 1327. Sir Richard Edgar was very close to Robert Bruce; the family story goes that he was present when Robert Bruce slew the Red Comyn (Lord of Badenoch) at the alter stone of the Greyfriars at Dumfries in 1306. The Edgar clan motto “Maun Do It” is said to come from Sir Richards encouragement to slay the Red Comyn. Sir Richard became quite close to the king after this and was a witness at his second marriage. Sir James Edgar was the Private Secretary to King James III, the father of Bonnie Prince Charlie. SirJames is noted for being the chief conspirator and master mind of the rebellions of 1714 and 1745. The House of Wedderlie remained as the Edgar central seat until it was sold in 1733 to Lord Blantyre.
Gardens and grounds
Wedderlie House is beautifully positioned within a designed landscape which is dominated by mature woodland, policies and tree lined avenues. The principal house enjoys unbroken distant views to the north and south, where the views are “framed” by the avenues, one of which is the old drove road to Duns.
The grounds surrounding Wedderlie House extend to approximately 53.51 acres. The woodland (approximately 23.12 acres) provides excellent shelter for the 2 paddocks (approximately 23.2 acres) and also provides cover for the small, but enjoyable, low ground shoot, which has formed part of a larger shoot. The paddocks are well fenced and have their own water supply, and are accessible from both the stables and the all-weather ménage. Extensive lawns surround the house with a haha running along the southern boundary. There are 2 walled gardens, one of which is dedicated to vegetables.
The village of Westruther has a thriving community and an excellent local primary school. Wedderlie House is within the catchment area of Earlston High School and is on the bus route. Private schooling is available in Melrose, approximately 21 miles to the south west, where St Mary’s Preparatory School takes children from the age of 2½. Longridge Towers, which also takes children from the age of 2½, is just outside Berwick-upon-Tweed. The Borders area is very well known for its quality of field sports, including first class grouse shooting in the Lammermuirs and a number of extremely well run local pheasant shoots. The River Tweed and its tributaries are internationally known for the quality of salmon and sea trout fishing. Wedderlie House lies within the Lauderdale hunt country. There is national hunt racing at Kelso and Musselburgh and, in addition, there are numerous local golf courses, including the first class Roxburghe championship course just outside Kelso.
Wedderlie Place Cottage
Situated just to the north of Wedderlie House, Wedderlie Place Cottage is approached along the main driveway leading to the house. It has been completely refurbished and is currently vacant. It is a traditionally constructed, detached cottage built of random stone under a pitched slate roof. It is a really comfortable cottage with extensive/adaptable accommodation with income earning potential. (See floor plans for room layout and dimensions)
Adjacent to Wedderlie Place Cottage is a converted barn which is now used as a garage which includes a wash bay. A tarmac spur leads from the gravel drive to a carriage circle in front of the stables and old kennels. There are 3 “monarch” loose boxes which have matting on the floors and a solarium in the old byre. There are 3 traditional stables beneath the stable flat, itself consisting of 3 rooms and is currently in need of complete refurbishment.
Wedderlie House is Category A listed by Historic Scotland.
Both dwellings benefit from mains electricity, a private water supply, private drainage (to septic tanks) and phone/broadband services.
Fixtures and Fittings
All fitted carpets/floor coverings, blinds and integrated kitchen appliances, curtain rails and poles are to be included in the sale. Other items of furniture, light fittings and equipment are available by separate negotiation.
Scottish Borders Council
Council Headquarters Newtown St. Boswells Melrose TD6 0SA
Tel: 0300 100 1800
Wedderlie House is grade A listed
Wedderlie House – Band H
Grooms Cottage –Band C
Wedderlie House – G
Grooms Cottage – To be confirmed
Strictly by appointment with Goldsmith & Co.
Vacant possession will be given on completion